Pet Food is regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Department of Agriculture (or equivalent department) in each State. The State Department of Agricultures and the FDA work together in an organization called the American Association of Feed Control Officials, or AAFCO. AAFCO develops Model Laws and Model Regulations for the labeling, sale and manufacture of commercial feed which then may be adopted in part or in whole by the states. Although there are certain Federal requirements that must be followed to sell pet food everywhere, there are numerous variations from State to State.

If the product claims that it is intended to “prevent, destroy, repel or mitigate any pest” it will be considered a pesticide regardless of the ingredients. Devices may also be considered pesticides. Pet products that are considered pesticides include flea and tick powders and collars, shampoos and grooming aids that claim to control fleas or ticks, certain water clarifiers and algae control products, as well as some dog and cat behavior modifiers.

If your product is considered a pesticide you may  be required to register with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and with each state where the product is sold. Like pet food, each state may require a registration fee for each product. Certain pesticides considered minimum risk are exempt from some of EPA and/or State requirements. For a product with pesticide claims to be considered exempt from some of the requirements, all the ingredients must be on the exempt list. For more information see the  EPA’s Pesticide Web Site devoted to pesticides and a web page devoted to  Pesticide Registration Facts

Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC):  The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) has been the unified voice of the pet industry – promoting responsible pet ownership and animal welfare, fostering environmental stewardship, and ensuring the availability of pets. Pet Products News: News on, provided by BowTie News, consists of reporters that specialize in covering the pet industry and its communities. News is supplemented by Pet Product News

Pet Food Nutritionists/Consultants: They have the names of consultants that can assist you in both formulation and regulatory/labeling requirements for pet food, treats and chews. Contact Ed Rod at or (203) 532-3600. They also have a listing of laboratories that will test pet foods and ingredients.